The Run Iceland is organized by the Base Artica ehf with W.W.P. Organization support.
The friendly and relaxed environment, which marks the events labelled Base Artica, will allow you to get close to this sport with the right approach in safety and in good company. On the other hand, the expert and competitive athletes will be given the chance to face a landscape where the wild nature still rules.
The event will take place in five stages:
CITIZENS AND RESIDENTS OF ICELAND HAVE THE POSSIBILITY OF RUNNING INDIVIDUAL STAGES. ALSO THEY CAN PARTICIPATE TO THE WHOLE EVENT AND TRAVEL BY THEIR OWN MEAN IF THEY WISH. VELKOMIN!
The event is also open to non-expert athletes. The whole course is in complete safety, but caution and an adequate preparation for the distances to cover and the altimetry to overcome are required.
The final ranking will be drawn up on the basis of the sum of the five times of the five stages. Then in sequence, the athletes who will withdraw in one or more stages will be ranked on the basis of the km covered. It is also foreseen a so-called “3×10” ranking, for the athletes who will take part in the last 10 km of the 2st, 4rd, and 5th stage. Race timing system will be performed by the timekeeper team of W.W.P ORGANIZATION.
The race courses have been marked out with the precious cooperation of the multi-champion Marco Olmo, 20x Marathon des Sables Finisher and 2x Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc winner and 4x Desert Cup winner.
The race is reserved for athletes over the age of 18 by the first day of the race . The participants will be divided into two categories:
The participants must have a sports license, for which it is required a medical clearance to compete in competitive sports, signed by one of the physicians of the Federation of Sports Medicine and whose date does not expire before the end of the competition. Non-licensed participants must show the same kind of certificate attesting the athlete’s fitness to competitive athletics, been issued for less than a year. Copies of Clearance will not be given back. For certain countries where sports medical certificate are not issued or difficult to come by, we’ll be asking for a signed declaration of self liability.
Base Artica EHF have subscribed a civil liability insurance (the policy can be consulted on request) whose coverage includes a third Party and the competitors against damages and repatriation, as long as they are in the race, that is as long as they are not disqualified, withdrawn or after the cut-off time. Athletes are recommended to subscribe an individual insurance policy.
Competitors must be semi-self-sufficient. At each single stage, any participant MUST carry: (on risk of disqualification):
• Personal bib number, given by the Organization, which must always be perfectly and entirely visible and attached to the front of the shirt or jacket.
• Flasks or the like containing a litre of water at least (except in the stages shorter than 20 km)
• Wind Jacket
• Warm beanie or hat
• Food supplies according to each one’s need
• Survival blanket
• Trail shoes or closed running footwear are mandatory. It is forbidden to wear sandals or open shoes
Hiking sticks are optional.
According to weather conditions we might have to ask you to wear long pants. Athletes’ equipment will be checked at the start and end of each stage. It is at athletes’ expense: – their own food supplies for each single stage. (It is recommended to bring supply for the longest four stages from one’s own country). There will be a supply point at stages 4 an 5 only.
There will also be checkpoints and passage points, also surprise ones, where the competitors must have their bib stamped and must sign the transit card.
The organizers reserve the right to make rule, course and start times changes at any time.
The participants grant press and the organizing committee permission to use and publish the pictures taken during the race.
Race bag pick up will be during the general briefing. Briefings will be also held at the starting line of each single stage half an hour before the start.
Courses will be marked with colorful tapes and/or orange directional arrows.
Participants are fully aware of the risks connected with this competition and voluntarily assume full responsibility in taking part in this event. Organization will not be liable for any losses, damages, illness, injuries, including death.
Participants can be disqualified if they:
• miss the check at the start or in one of the checkpoints over the courses;
• do not have one of the mandatory pieces of equipment (see article 7);
• use a means of transport;
• receive non-authorized aid;
• throw rubbish out of the aid stations;
• refuse to be visited by the race doctors in any time of the race;
• are tested positive for doping. Any athlete can be drawn at random to undergo drug testing, during or after each single stage;
• use threats or verbal abuses to the Organizing Committee or behave improperly. The Organizing committee have the ultimate and final authority to disqualify athletes.
Upon registration, athletes acknowledge that they have read and understood the contents of these Rules and they have agreed to the terms. Any possible complaint can be lodged within an hour of the race, leaving $50 deposit which will be given back only in case the complaint is accepted.
• One aid station at about half of the course in the 4th and 5th stage including: water, salt, coke, jelly and/or energy bars, bananas.
• At each aid station, all participants MUST fill in their flasks with at least 1 litre of water.
It is strictly forbidden to throw rubbish all over the course, ON risk OF DISQUALIFICATION (see article 14). Rubbish must be thrown at the aid stations.
• Medical assistance will be provided at the start and end of each single stage and over the course, thanks to an off-road vehicle which will follow the whole competition. Moreover, a medical off-road vehicle or ambulance will always be on the tracks.
• There will be a “sweep” service by one of our vehicles when possible or on foot.
PRIZES will be awarded to:
• the first five athletes of the overall male and female rankings.
• the first athletesof the overall ranking 3×10.
BASE ARTICA EHF